September 02, 2024

L.A. Noire: First impressions

I get commissions for purchases made through the links in this post, at no cost to you.

 

Ten years ago, back in April 2014, I had the time of my life. I was playing L.A. Noire for the first time. On PS3. These days I'm happy to say that L.A. Noire is one of my all time favorite games. I'm very sad that it's very unlikely that there will ever be a sequel, L.A. Noire 2.

In L.A. Noire you play as detective Cole Phelps, solving crimes in Los Angeles in the year 1947. And still today, the city looks astonishing and so genuine. I'm always in awe while driving on the streets (and trying to run people over in the process).

 


 I hate Roy Earle. But there is one character in the game who I hate even more...


But here are my first impressions of L.A. Noire, first written back in 2014:


While partying on a Saturday night my neck got sore in a fist fight. Things got too real when I almost died, and panicked because of it. This happened in my new favorite game L.A. Noire! 

 


 



Because of (the first) The Last of Us, which turned out to be a complete disappointment for me, I thought that "cinematic" games are not really for me, but I guess I was wrong. LA Noire was reportedly the first game ever that was "honoured as an official selection" at a film festival.

Noire is a calm enough game for my taste, but there is also plenty of action. At first the game reminded me of the CSI series, and then of the Grand Theft Auto games. The game world is large and well executed. After all, the game was years behind its original schedule because they wanted to make it better. 

 


Herschel Biggs is taking it easy.


It was funny when one time I drove away from the bad guys and accidentally drove full speed to the wall. Well, the villains followed suit - and died. And that's how I passed the mission! Oops. I sometimes have that idiot-loser's luck. But then it hasn't been nice when my boss yells at me because I suck at detective work :( It's always scary when the boss yells.

The best crime case to solve was the one where you have to decide whether to go to a liquor store, a bar or a bowling alley next!! And the funniest thing is that I had to go to the the liquor store many times because I always missed some evidence. The last time I crashed the car directly to the entrance of the liquor store, and my spouse commented funnily that my character seems to be pretty drunk by now... But of course it was unfair that my character was never allowed to take a cigarette break or take a single shot of alcohol, my work partner instead kept slacking... "You go interview the witnesses, I'll just drink at the bar."

"If we survive this it's gonna be a miracle!" is my favorite quote in the game, said by my favorite detective partner Rusty Galloway. 

 


 

On the way to a street crime, I managed to wreck no less than FIVE cars. Or, okay, maybe four. But do the destroyed cars on the other side of the head-on collision also count? ;) I guess not then.


 

Now it's scary that the game will end soon. I don't want this game to ever end, I want to keep investigating crimes forever!

 



More L.A. Noire posts coming soon!

 

For my L.A. Noire playthrough videos you can check Youtube. Note: this is not from my first playthrough. And by checking through the playlist you can see which LA Noire character I hate the most!

No comments:

Post a Comment